Your trusted professionals may think they know how to strip and wax floors, but they could be making common mistakes that will ruin them in the long run. No one wants to waste money on something they’ve put care into, and your floors should be no different.
Business owners should know that even if the cleaning service they hired is run by professionals, stripping and waxing commercial floors is a learned skill. To the untrained eye, the quality of your floors may look stellar, but sneaky mishaps like barely visible scratches or excess moisture may break your floor down much quicker than you would expect.
We know you want to keep your floors looking as good as new for as long as you can, so we prefer you avoid these practices:
- Treating every floor type the same way – One of the biggest mistakes cleaning services make is applying the exact same method to every type of floor. For example, tile, linoleum, vinyl, and hardwood are made of very different materials and require distinct standards of cleanliness. Take laminate flooring for example, which experts recommend against polishing at all.
Cleaners should also consider whether a strip and wax procedure is always necessary, or if they could get the job done by scrubbing and recoating instead. This method is especially best used on wood, vinyl tile, and marble, to name a few. While the equipment used is similar, the chemicals and procedure are not as harsh. Brenner Facility Services uses Scotch-Brite Surface Preparation Pads when scrubbing and recoating.
- Incorrectly balancing the dilution of water with chemicals – The water-to-solution ratio is extremely important for the strength of the chemicals, and this can work either for or against a business owner. Having the preferred balance of a solution can provide the perfect clean with just the right amount of chemical strength to combat dirt. However, a solution packed with too little or too much water can make for a weak clean or be so intense that floors are left with permanent damage.
- Allowing the cleaning solution to dry down – Allowing the mixture to dry for too long before the floor is properly stripped and waxed can also severely damage floors. It’s also a good measure not to let any fluids sit on floors too long in general, in case too much moisture permanently warps and buckles the floor.
- Disregarding the proper safety equipment – A professional can follow the steps of floor stripping and waxing, but if they aren’t following the right safety protocol, they’re putting themselves and your floors in danger. Liability issues aside, not having the proper safety equipment like goggles, special non-slip shoes, gloves, and headwear gives way to countless accidents that could result in damaged floors, equipment, and possibly people, too.
- Failing to clean the equipment beforehand – Trying to clean with dirty tools sounds a little contradictory, doesn’t it? Any sensible cleaning service should prioritize the use of clean tools, especially when stripping and waxing floors. Because the process is so intense and removes the most subtle fibers of dirt, your servicer should eliminate all risk of unnecessary filth.
If the risks of incorrectly stripping and waxing your floors weren’t heavy enough, the financial burden of paying to have your floors repaired could be devastating in the long run.
Depending on how many years you’ve been having your floors cleaned incorrectly, you’ve paid for both the costs of your regular cleaning service and the damage caused by the service itself! It doesn’t help that the average price of flooring per 500-square-foot space is $3,000, either.
Choose a company that’s as serious about protecting your funds as much as you are.
After you’ve corrected how your commercial cleaning service goes about stripping and waxing floors, you should be mindful of keeping them in the best shape possible. As the winter season approaches, you should know that salt and snow are prone to breaking down the wax on tile floors. In commercial buildings like schools where heavy foot traffic is common, it’s especially worth investing in quality matting.
With our service, your floors will be in tip-top shape. Brenner Facility Services is guaranteed to provide you with industrial-strength cleaning and modern disinfection technology. We strive to be reliable, detailed, and as communicative with you as possible.
Take the chance on a professional family owned and operated service that will clean your office and commercial space with the care it deserves.